Tuesday 30 December 2014

Planting My Grapes Cutting

August 14, 2014

Planting my first cutting

After Visiting Gapuz Farm in late May and undergoing a seminar on grape planting. Joe Gapuz who became a good friend gave me several cuttings to plant. I was so excited to start my new vineyard

Given the information that it is necessary to plant grapes where sunlight is abundant , I choose to start an experimental; vineyard in my one hectare farm in Balibago 1st. My farm having a small fishpond will provide plenty of water for irrigating and a larger space for expansion/

I choose to plant the Vines at the side of the fishpond  (later on I learned it was poor choice of location). The area where grapes should be planted needs a good drainage , grapes are not happy with too much water it tend to clog the roots and stunt growth.

So here I go with 30 Pieces of rooted cuttings , I started planting the grapes on the right side of the pond. Digging holes , I filled them with organic matters (chicken dung and dried malungay leaves).
I planted 30 Pcs of rooted cuttings , and it was may in the middle of rainy season .

I was so positive Im doing everything correctly

1st day Planting (May 14)


By August 15 , almost 50% of my grapes died (lol).  Some died because of too much rain (rain melts the new leafs) , bugs and fungus having a fiesta and my own in experience on the timing of fertilizer application. I actually experimented on the poor vines , trying to learn the best tricks.

Some have been stunted

Some having tremendous Success



By September , I have 10 successful vines. Then this happened. It took a long time to realized what is happening , grapes are healthy today the next day they look like this




I have tried to prevent the deterioration by pruning the affected area, but new leafs will appear having the same problem. , I Sprasyed fungicide to no avail. I tried a broad spectrum insecticide with no effect. Everyday , it got worst.

By  October  I only have 4 Surviving grapes , with only one mature grapes ready for pruning (Pencil Thick Trunk)


So On October 4 , I pruned the one remaining for pruning and left for Palawan , stayed there for 3 weeks. I was expecting to se my grapes dead by the time I Arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment